Mechanical / Mechatronics Engineer
Reports to: Manager of Mechanical Engineering
Position Type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Richmond, BC
As a Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineer, you will perform mechanical design and prototype assembly of the company’s products including the creation of all supporting documentation for fabrication and assembly of these parts and assemblies. You will also be responsible for sourcing components and generating BOMs for assemblies. Ideally, you will be able to design and test electronic circuits and corresponding firmware for microcontrollers.
- Transforming conceptual designs into detailed fabrication and assembly drawings.
- Performing new design work and the detailing/completion of designs created by others.
- Produce manufacturing documentation related to various parts and assemblies. This includes fabrication drawings for labels, cables, waveguides, printed circuit boards, metal parts and plastic parts along with assembly drawings, material lists and revision control documentation.
- Interact with fabricators and suppliers of mechanical and electrical parts to ensure parts are made to the prints and any revisions or clarifications resulting from this process are incorporated into the documentation.
- Research suitable OEM components to be used in mechanical and electrical assemblies and on new processes to be used in fabrication of parts.
- Understand all the revision control.
- Implement Engineering Change Orders and re-work procedures.
- Manage custom-order/one-off projects (design & order parts, coordinate product assembly with production or assemble the project yourself, testing/quality control of the finished project)
- Ideally, use the in-house machine shop (CNC Mill, Lathe, Bandsaw, Break, etc.) to create prototypes when required.
- A.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering), registration with APEGBC as an E.I.T.
- 2 – 5 years of working experience
- Knowledgeable in design rules and designing for the following processes and fabrication techniques: milling, turning, extruding, die-cutting & forming, broaching, sheet metal work, die casting, investment casting, plastic molding, rapid prototyping, chemical etching, metal plating & protective finishes, silk screening & label making, mechanical assembling and electronic assembling.
- Understanding and practical application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Proficient CAD user with an in-depth knowledge of AutoCAD and Solidworks
- Able to maintain good relations with OEM vendors and representatives.
- Knowledge in standard word processing, spread sheet and database programs and readily learn to use new packages and solve common problems with software and computer systems.
- Good understanding of product structures and the hierarchy of fabrication and assembly.
- Hands-on experience creating prototypes
- Training or working knowledge of heat transfer modeling and heat sink design using Solidworks simulation an asset
- Training in metrology an asset
- Knowledge of electronic design using microcontrollers an asset
- Knowledge of RF fundamentals an asset
- Experience with PLM an asset.
- Experience with PCB layout using Protel/Altium an asset
- Flexible work hours including the occasional weekend
- Good communication skills
- Strong team player
- Willing to learn and train others
- Positive working attitude
- Safe working practices
- Excellent problem solver
- Good organization skills
- Good time management skills
- Goal oriented
- Able to work without close supervision
- High quality standards
Security Screening Requirement:
Norsat is a secure facility, thus all employment is contingent upon the selected candidate’s successful clearance from federal security screenings, including Criminal Record Check.
Job Application Requirement:
Email applications must include subject line “Mechanical / Mechatronics Engineer (JB141)”:
- Cover letter (optional)
Click on email@example.com to generate an email to apply to this posting.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those under consideration will be contacted.