Reports to: Director of Engineering
Position Type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Richmond, BC
As a Systems Engineer in the Engineering Group you will report the Director of Engineering. You will work with a multi-disciplinary team and provide technical oversight on system related issues. The SATCOM products include microwave assemblies and portable/transportable terminals. You will play an integral role in ensuring the design of new products/solutions meets the overall system performance requirements and will evaluate subsystem performance and tradeoffs. Systems engineering includes: RF/antenna performance, timing, satellite pointing and tracking algorithms, assessing impact of mechanical movements on performance, designing the feedback systems necessary for satellite acquisition and tracking, analyzing subsystem performance to ensure system level performance is achieved.
- Technical leadership on system performance
- Participate in the design and manufacturing of microwave products including BUCs (block upconverters) and SSPAs (solid state power amplifiers) and LNBs (Low Noise Block Downconverters)
- Participate in the design and manufacturing of the SATCOM terminals
- Write system level technical specifications, design documents, test plans and test procedures
- Create subsystem level technical specifications, design documents, test plans and test procedures from system level documents
- Analyze system and subsystem test results to determine effect on system performance
- Convert requirements into conceptual designs and develop prototypes
- Assist with product development;
- Troubleshoot design issues;
- Work with Operations/Production to resolve manufacturing problems;
- Provide technical analysis to show designs meet requirements
- Assist with system level regulatory certifications and type approvals
- Communicate via email and con-calls with antenna design team in Nanjing, China location to coordinate work activities at that location
- MSc. or PhD. in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of experience in RF design
- Excellent spoken and written English required
- Spoken and written Mandarin language skills an asset
- Experience designing SATCOM terminals especially antenna acquisition and tracking, RF performance and regulatory/type approval requirements.
- Good knowledge of satellite communications including coding, modulation, link budgets and their impact on system design and performance
- Knowledge of control systems desired
- Experience designing for manufacturability
- Experience with the following software: ADS, EMPro, HFSS, Altium desired
- Familiarity with PLM software and Solid Works considered an asset
Security Screening Requirement:
Norsat is a secure facility, thus all employment is contingent upon the selected candidate’s successful clearance from federal security screenings, including Criminal Record Check.
Job Application Requirement:
Email applications must include subject line “Systems Engineer (JB167)”:
- Cover letter (optional)
Click on email@example.com to generate an email to apply to this posting.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however only those under consideration will be contacted.