NORSAT ANNOUNCES FIRST QUARTER FISCAL YEAR 2017 FINANCIAL RESULTS
– Management to Host Conference Call at 8:30 am Pacific Time (11:30 am Eastern Time) –
Vancouver, British Columbia – May 3, 2017 – Norsat International Inc. (“Norsat” or the “Company”) (TSX: NII and NYSE MKT: NSAT), a provider of unique and customized communication solutions for remote and challenging applications, today reported financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2017.
- $8.2 million in revenue for the quarter, a decrease of 14% compared to $9.6 million for the same period last year.
- Gross profit margin of 41% for the quarter, a decrease of 3% from 44% for the same period last year.
- Net earnings for the quarter were $0.2 million, or $0.04 and $0.03 per share, basic and diluted, compared to $1.2 million, or $0.20 per share, basic and diluted, for the same period last year.
- $15.6 million of cash and cash equivalents at March 31, 2017, an increase of $0.6 million compared to $15.0 million at December 31, 2016.
- $27.2 million of working capital at March 31, 2017, an increase of $0.6 million compared to $26.6 million at December 31, 2016.
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $1.0 million for the quarter, a decrease of 43% from $1.7 million for the same period last year.
“While first quarter revenue and profitability were lower than the comparable period in 2016, we have experienced solid quoting and booking activities. For our Satellite Communications division, we secured several larger orders which include an approximately $3.3 million order for our satellite terminals from a U.S. government organization, building a strong backlog for the remainder of the year. The business opportunities for the Sinclair Technologies division also look steady,” said Dr. Amiee Chan, President and CEO of Norsat. “We also continued to manage our cost structure while also challenging ourselves to develop and market new products and solutions. During the quarter, we have announced the expansion of our Ka-band product lines with the launch of the ATOM 50 Watt Ka-band BUCs and SSPAs, and industry leading 4- and 5-band LNBs to meet the broadest range of customer needs,” added Dr. Chan.
Conference Call Details
Norsat will host a conference call today, May 3, 2017 at 8:30 am Pacific Time (11:30 am Eastern Time) to discuss its fiscal year 2017 first quarter financial results. To access the conference call, please dial toll-free 1-888-886-7786 or 416-764-8658. The conference call title is: ‘Investor Call – Q1 2017’. Please connect approximately 10 – 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the call to ensure participation. A digital recording and transcript of the call will be available after the live call at: http://www.norsat.com/investors/financial-information/conference-call-recordings/
(1) Adjusted EBITDA is a measure that the Company uses to reflect the results of its core earnings. Adjusted EBITDA is defined as earnings before income tax expense, financing costs, depreciation and amortization, foreign exchange gain or loss, corporate development costs incurred to pursue strategic opportunities, write-down of inventory, impairment charges or recoveries, discontinued operations and other non-cash charges.
(2) We disclose non-IFRS measures as we believe they provide useful information on actual operating results and assist in comparisons from one period to another. Readers are cautioned that non-IFRS measures do not have any standardized meaning prescribed by IFRS and therefore may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other companies. For a more detailed description of non-IFRS measures, please refer to Management’s Discussion and Analysis for the three months ended March 31, 2017 posted on Norsat’s website and SEDAR.
About Norsat International Inc.
Founded in 1977, Norsat International Inc. is a provider of unique and customized communication solutions for remote and challenging applications. Norsat’s products and services include leading-edge product design and development, production, distribution and infield support and service of fly-away satellite terminals, microwave components, antennas, Radio Frequency (RF) conditioning products, maritime based satellite terminals and remote network connectivity solutions. More information is available at www.norsat.com, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-604-821-2800.
Forward Looking Statements
The discussion and analysis of this news release contains forward-looking statements concerning anticipated developments in Norsat’s operations in future periods, the adequacy of its financial resources and other events or conditions that may occur in the future. Forward-looking statements are frequently, but not always, identified by words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “believes,” “intends,” “estimates,”, “predicts,” “potential,” “targeted,” “plans,” “possible” and similar expressions, or statements that events, conditions or results “will,” “may,” “could” or “should” occur or be achieved. These forward-looking statements include, without limitation, statements about Norsat’s market opportunities, strategies, competition, expected activities and expenditures as it pursues its business plan, the adequacy of available cash resources and other statements about future events or results. Forward-looking statements are statements about the future and are inherently uncertain, and actual achievements of the Company or other future events or conditions may differ materially from those reflected in the forward-looking statements due to a variety of risks, uncertainties and other factors, such as business and economic risks and uncertainties. The forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs, expectations and opinions of management on the date the statements are made. Consequently, all forward-looking statements made in this news release are qualified by this cautionary statement and there can be no assurance that actual results or anticipated developments will be realized. For the reasons set forth above, investors should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this news release and Norsat assumes no obligation to update or revise them to reflect new events or circumstances, other than as required by law.
For further information, contact:
|Dr. Amiee Chan||Arthur Chin|
|President & CEO||Chief Financial Officer|
|Tel: 604 821-2800||Tel: 604 821-2800|
|Email: email@example.com||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|